[Scribus] Maintaining text with scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Jun 12 03:50:20 CEST 2006

Marc de Banville wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was looking these days about a way to maintain or import/export text
>> from a .sla, for different needs (correction, translation, sending text
>> only). I suppose this could be Python-scripted, but I didn't find any of
>> these. BTW is there a way to get a international spellchecker compatible
>> with Scribus text editor?

Here is something I had forgotten I had made a few months ago. It's a
script, frameslist.py, that will take your current document and scan for
text frames (as written the frames need to start with "Text"). After
that it will print to a text file the names of the frames followed by
the contents.

Example:
Page 1
Text1: frame contents

Text2: next frame contents
/and/so/on/ -- Will do this for as many pages as there are.

Some caveats:
1)  Scribus does its own weird thing with carriage returns, so they come
out Ctrl-E or Ctrl-M, depending on your version.
2) There aren't any safety tests -- if you don't have a document opened,
nothing will happen (actually the script just quits without doing anything).
3) Only have one document open -- it doesn't work right if there is more
than one. (I don't know why)
4) This works within Scribus, not as a standalone.

Usage:
Open a document
Run frameslist.py
Requestor asks for filename - '.txt' will be appended
You should get a message telling you the file was saved

Greg