[Scribus] WP versus DTP

Never you mind scrpt
Wed Jun 7 11:47:19 CEST 2006

On 07/06/2006, at 4:12 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:

>> I ran into this problem early on with my newsletter. I cannot strongly
>> enough recommend that only plain text files be used to input into
>> Scribus then do all of the beauty formatting within Scribus.
>
> Plain text files have their problems too.
>
> So in my opinion some format that allows markup must be used.
>

> I have been thinking of using a stripped down HTML, allowing only a
> few tags. In
> HTML yoou can also use entities for special characters. The problem is
> that most
> authors don't want to mess with visible markup, they want to use
> something like
> MS Word.

Yes. That's easiest for users. It would be great if there was a
standard way to inspect the bold/italic/underline and convert it to
HTML. On Mac OS9 I was able to inspect the style runs of the text. This
meant that users could cut/paste from MSWord into FMPro (where we
stored our data). We used AppleScript to convert style runs to HTML and
stored an HTML version beside the styled version. The HTML was then
used to generate web pages. Very easy for everyone, writer's used the
word processor they preferred and dropped it into FMPro, which
understands styled text, extraneous styles where dropped in the
conversion, so the web site only carried approved house style.

Malcolm