[Scribus] Generating PDFs

Erich Dollansky oceanare
Fri Jun 2 08:37:41 CEST 2006

Hi,

Michael Eager wrote:
> Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> Michael Eager wrote:
>>
>>> opens slowly in Acroread.  Printing from Acroread is very slow
>>> and frequently fails to print (I think that the printer runs
>>> out of memory).
>>
>> Is it a postscript printer?
>
> Yes.

does the driver know of the memory size the printer actually has?

>>> If I turn off text compression, the size of the PDF is
>>> much larger, about 25 times the size of the Scribus file.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on what causes this or how to correct
>>> these problems?
>>>
>> Scribus generates very large PDFs to make sure that every detail is as
>> expected.
>
> It seems extraordinarily large.  It's a distinct disadvantage
> compared to files generated by other programs.  Documents which
> take a long time to download or print are less desirable.
>
> Documents which don't print are even less desirable.  :-)

You can play around with the export options to make them smaller within
the desired quality.

Especially 'resample images to' and the use a resolution your printer
has helps a lot.

There are other options like under 'Colour': 'Output Intended For' which
have an influence on the size.

I am able to create out of the same Scribus file PDFs from 2MB to 20MB.
But it took a while for me to understand what setting has which impact.

Erich