[Scribus] Scientific publishing

avox avox
Fri Jun 2 01:52:06 CEST 2006

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

> Peter Nermander wrote:
>
>> You forgot some important "components", I think:
>
>> 1.3 mathematical (and other) formulas
>> 1.4 complex tables
>> 1.5 references/numbering
>> 1.6 footnotes/endnotes
>
> No, I didn't forget them. They are just text.
>
> Also your 1.4 - 1.6 is IMHO better treated on level '2. markup'.

I don't think it makes sense to generate text without doing this kind of
markup
at the same time.  For example, you would not write footnotes as normal text
and
later scan the text for footnotes and mark them. Same for references,
formulae
and tables. If you take a look at LyX you see that it supports a quite
complex
content model (btw. it also supports DocBook).

Tables and formulae are important as it is necessary to define the import
format.
Currently I see only TeX and MathML (or both) as formulae format.

Also footnotes/endnotes have a major impact on steps 4./5. pagelayout, so
it's
good to have that on the list early.

It's a long way to go for Scribus.

/Andreas