[Scribus] Inkscape and Gimp

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Jun 1 23:46:40 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 2. Juni 2006 00:28 schrieb Marc de Banville:
> Well, Gimp2 with the separate plugin produces quite good CMYK pictures.
> I previously had to work with Photoshop for CMYK conversion, and now I
> go directly through Gimp/separate. Do you think this method has drwbacks?

You can't work in (an emulated) CMYK colourspace, and you have little to no
control wrt the output. Moreover, CMYK is not enough. Other colourspaces need
to be supported as well.

> I agree with Luois that "ashamed" is not a right term to use talking
> about open source developpers.

"Ashamed" is completely wrong here. However, one must not forget that the GIMP
team has deliberately ignored all requests from users to implement CMYK
features for years. Their point of view has been for a long time: That's the
printer's job, not ours. So, they might be to blame for their current
difficulties ;) They also have ignored many requests for a better usability,
and badmouthing the guy who created GIMPshop or the cinepaint team is not
what I would call good manners. That doesn't diminish my admiration for what
has been achieved by the GIMP developers. The GIMP has become my favourite
tool for restoring old b/w photographs. It's fast and very reliable.

And I really hope no one will complain about inkscape. Given the youth of the
project, it is simply amazing what the guys have achieved in such a short
time. Just have a look at the release notes of the soon-to-come 0.44. It's
really hard to believe what's happening there (same as with Scribus):
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes

Cheers,

Christoph