[Scribus] Again: Tutorial

Peter Nermander peter.nermander
Sun Jul 30 11:37:36 CEST 2006

> you're a bit late to the discussion:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_With_Scribus:Contributors

Well, after being on vacation for two weeks and finding over 40 digests in my mailbox I thought that with only 3 digests left to read it was not all that late.

> And the content of the document _is_ important. It's quite a difference if you
> want to show Scribus' capabilities by creating an aesthetic layout or a set
> form, a poster or a magazine.

No. The TYPE of content is important. But if we for example take a magazine they don't change their layout from issue to issue, they have a fixed layout and then maybe for some type of content use what I consider as "decoration" (customized title etc).

A layout is visual, it should be viewed from a distance and immediately lead your eyes to the right places, giva attention to the right parts. But the actual content of those parts is not critical. You can change the content without changing the layout (which magazines do all the time) and you can change the layout without changing the content (take a look at www.csszengarden.com to see what I mean).

Scribus is used to realise a layout, and I think the tutorial should be targeted at that. Not how to design a layout (because that can be done easily with only paper and pen). For designing a layout there are dozens of books, univerisy classes etc to refer to.

/Peter