[Scribus] Again: Tutorial

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Jul 26 23:55:44 CEST 2006

Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> Helen Etters schrieb:
>
>> I'm too new here to have any standing, but may I offer a suggestion?
>> How about a tutorial in which the content of the pages is a Scribus
>> Tutorial?  That way the work you do will result in, not a book on
>> Rembrandt or rain forest animals (both worthy subjects) but will
>> actually result in a a useful How-To booklet that can be printed?
>> In other words, write a small book on how to use Scribus, and
>> explain all the steps you go through in creating the booklet.
>>
>> Regardless of what you come up with, I'm glad you're here.
>>
>> Helen
>>

> Helen, welcome :-)
>
> What you suggest is something like an endless recursion: Writing a
> tutorial which deals whith a tutorial which is a tutorial about the
> tutorial ... and so on :-)

Actually, it's not such a bad idea. The content of the tutorial
product/project is arbitrary. why not have it represent something
actually useful? We certainly don't want pages of Lorem ipsum (yuck).
And, (sorry for being a neurologist) there is the subliminal factor in
teaching about Scribus while you manipulate text that tells you about
Scribus features.

For that matter, it doesn't need to be a single, monolithic project
either. At the core (initial page) there can be a simple but not too
simple document, which along the way, as Wikis do, have the opportunity
for a little side trip into more advanced, complex, perhaps esoteric
Scribus features. This way you don't overwhelm the initiate, and you
retain the interest of the returnee or the more experienced person.

These side trips also bring up opportunities for many to contribute
their particular feature without a series of dueling edits.

Greg