[Scribus] Again: Tutorial

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Jul 26 18:54:33 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2006 18:27 schrieb avox:
> MaHan wrote:
> > Louis, please don't get me wrong -- I _love_ this
> > touch of exotism, the story and the included pictures.
> > The only reason why I'm asking for the new content is
> > quite simple: the target audience of the tutorial. I
> > would like to encourage more people to use this
> > tutorial. But some teachers may restrain from using it
> > in their classes, because they could be afraid of
> > being suited by angry parents, fired by their
> > schoolmasters, etc. Other people may restrain from
> > using it because of their cultural background or
> > religion -- in fact, I know of some priests and
> > seminary students using Scribus. All those countless
> > parish centers, non-profit organisations, schools
> > should be able to use those materials. That's while
> > I'm asking for the more neutral content.
>
> Gosh, that's just a few naked people in stone! It's not even
> close-ups of the reliefs with the orgies, so where's the problem? ;-)
>
> A little more tolerance to other cultures wouldn't hurt some priests
> or schools IMO....
> Would we start to use pictures of women only if they are wearing the
> tchador or burka next??
>
> /Andreas

Sorry for stepping in late, guys :)

While I absolutely agree with Andreas, that these are just ancient pieces of
art, I'm not against trying something new. It would perhaps become easier to
escape the original structures of the tutorial, including its limitations
(from a current point of view).

As an alternative I suggest creating an art magazine of a few pages. Everybody
interested, may have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembrandt

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Rembrandt

Enough text and public domain images to create this mini mag on a Dutch
painter of the 17th century, and _what_ a painter! It could be a special on
the occasion of an imaginary Rembrandt auction or his 400. birthday (born
1606) :)

As for the 1.2/1.3 issue I suggest first describing the way it is done in 1.2x
and then explain the differences to 1.3x as well as its additional features
if necessary/possible. See for example:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Pagination

Just my 2 cents.

Christoph