[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Wed Jul 26 14:03:52 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:20:09 -0400
"Nicholas Vettese" <nvettese at pdistributors.com> dijo:

> With InDesign, there is no where to go to really voice your opinion.  There
> are no websites, or mailing list, that will give you the support you get
> here.  If you were to find a developer of InDesign, do you think you would
> be able to tell them what they are doing wrong???  Probably not.

Several Adobe employees participate in e-lists. There is one for
InDesign: <indesign at lists.blueworld.com>. More than once suggestions on
the InDesign list have made it into the product and have also effected
changes to Adobe's pricing and marketing. Adobe also spends millions on
opinion polls and research to find out what people want.

I know zero about programming. Once I needed a script written for
InDesign. One of the Adobe employees literally wrote the script for me
(several pages of code). It is true that the contact with Adobe is not
direct, as it is here. It is untrue that there is no way to communicate
with them, that your pleas are unheard, or that there is no direct
support.

InDesign and Scribus fulfill different roles. Each has its place. I am
hoping that Scribus will eventually have all the capabilities of
InDesign because, while Adobe is much better than many software
vendors, their future plans rankle me. I prefer open source. But not
everyone does. We all have different needs.