[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Jul 26 01:22:06 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2006 00:33 schrieb Allen:
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > That's a problem many people seem to have, confusing a layout software
> > with a text editor or a word processor. A DTP software is introduced at
> > the end of a workflow to combine text and graphics and to produce
> > aesthetical and print-ready files for the RIP.
>
> Funny how one can both write and do the frames based DTP work in
> Framemaker, even in InDesign. Don't know about Quark.

Funny how people can't stop twisting words. You can write in Scribus and Quark
-- if you want to. It's just not the right tool for _writing_ a book or any
other longer text. For huge texts, use a wp or a text editor. No one would
use InDesign for _writing_ a book, and FrameMaker, well, how often have I
told you that it's something quite different? Try to produce the latest
National Geographic or an art catalogue with FrameMaker -- Good luck!

> And, BTW, OO uses frames for headers, body copy, footers and tables
> within frames for placement of text. The problems with OO are the
> tracking and justification.

Yes, and Word, WordPerfect, even a really great word processor like TextMaker
offers frames, but their features regarding typography, placing items on a
page or colours are limited or non-existent. So what? They are different
tools, full stop.

> Bye for now.
>
> Allen

Christoph