[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

Pierre-Luc Auclair p.lucauclair
Wed Jul 26 00:57:28 CEST 2006

That's the new mentality of people thinking they are full blown
designers/typographers/whatever because they have learned how to put
text on a page. But most of them can't put anything hierarchically, make
any sense, or even respect the most basic composition rules.

While OSS may democratize tools, it certainly doesn't democratize
knowledge (although it does indirectly, but that's another topic).

If you're a designer, you must have has some dumb ass client having oral
diarrhea on your fees, saying they can do just as well with the almighty
swiss-knife, coffee-maker Word. These are usually the same people
complaining about stuff they have no idea about, and are probably the
same guys you talk about, who used Abiword and OOo to produce their book.

Yes it puts your text on a page, yes people can "read" it, but it's
nowhere as efficient, and nowhere as professional. That like my regional
tourism committee, who preferred to save 20 bucks on their business
cards, by 1. using the cheapest cover material I've ever seen and 2. not
even printing on the good sense of the grain (I blame lousy printers on
that), and when you think these cards will be making contacts with
people all over the world and representing you, and all the places you
want people to pour money into, you can only wonder why you still care
working with such uneducated people.

/rant over.

Pierre-Luc