[Scribus] Several reasons why columns will stay per frame in Scribus; was: Why do?

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Tue Jul 25 05:50:30 CEST 2006

BandiPat a ?crit :
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>BandiPat wrote:
>>

>>>It does sound reasonable Andreas, but much more difficult than it ought
>>>to be.  Why must you always go around the elbow to get  to the hand?
>>>Those things should be direct, simple, almost to the point of being
>>>amazingly silly to do.   I'm not trying to turn Scribus into a low end
>>>program, just wanting low end features in my high end software.  :-)
>>>

>>OK, so describe in detail how you'd get straight to the hand, ie:
>>
>>- Exactly what you think should happen to the user interface
>>- How the user would interact with the program as you think it should be
>>- How your changes preserve full functionality and make it easier for
>>beginners to find and use WITHOUT impairing use for experts
>>
>>and I'll be interested. I asked you before and (unless I missed it in
>>this giant thread) you ignored the request, suggesting that you prefer
>>to criticize without offering alternatives, something I find rather
>>unhelpful.
>>
>>I would like to hear your DETAILED and WELL THOUGHT OUT descriptions of
>>what you think can be improved.
>>
>>--
>>Craig Ringer
>>

> Craig,
> Without being rude back at you, if you have kept up with the thread, I
> think I mentioned it at least once what I thought it should be and how
> it should work.  I'll go over this one part again, just for you.  :-)
>
> We'll get into the details later, after I've had time to do a bit of
> research on some other things.  Simply add an entry to the menu under
> Insert.  Insert>Columns or Page Columns, however you want to distinguish
> it to make it clear for new and you old Scribus experts.  Experts,
> that's funny.  (insert a Beavis & Butthead laugh here) A window pops
> open.  How many columns, much like you have now for the text frame
> columns, how much gap, linked?  It doesn't require much, because once
> they're placed on the page, the Properties box takes over for other
> automatic controls.  Otherwise, the user can link them, unlink them,
> move them, adjust them to their liking or need.

Please refer again to the "New Document" dialog. Most of what you say is
missing is there already.

? A window pops open. How many columns, how much gap, linked? ?

I know for sure, as I said in my previous post, that this feature could
be enhanced (and this is already on the bug tracker) by Master Pages
that would allow for more flexibility, including more options on linking
to current text chain.

I really wonder what is so wrong (hard to learn, unintuitive, difficult)
in the way it is, that it has to be thought all over again? Can't it
just be enhanced?

Louis