[Scribus] A few questions

Plinnell mrdocs
Sun Jul 16 23:55:29 CEST 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 23:08, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> Hi list,
> a few questions to Scribus/DTP:
>
> 1. Scribus 1.3.* main menu, Edit/Item Action Mode: what exactly is
> this menu item meant for?
>
> 2. PDF Export / PDFX/3 Tab / TrimBox: its tooltip says: "Distance
> for bleed from the top of the physical page". Is this correct, is
> Trimbox+bleed=physical page? And if my document size is e.g. A4,
> how would these settings influence the final page size?
>
> cheers
> Maciej

Actually in some cases none. One could create several pages within a
PDF with different trim box sizes with the same media box .

Trim Box is one of several "Boxes" in PDF nomenclature. Pre-press
preflight tools check these to ensure these are set properly by the
PDF producer.

Definitions from Apple's developer docs (no longer online):

"The art box defines the extent of the page's meaningful content
(including potential white space) as intended by the document
creator. The default value is the page's crop box.

The bleed box defines the bounds to which the contents of the page
should be clipped when output in a production environment. The
default value is the page's crop box.

The crop box defines the region to which the contents of the page are
to be clipped (or cropped) when displayed or printed. Unlike the
other boxes, the crop box has no defined meaning in terms of physical
page geometry or intended used. it merely suggests where the page
should be clipped.

The media box defines the location and size of the physical medium on
which the page is intended to be displayed or printed. For example,
if the page size is 8.5 by 11 inches, this function returns the
coordinate pairs (0,0) and (612,792).

The trim box defines the intended dimensions of the finished page
after trimming. It may be smaller than the media box, to allow for
production-related content such as printing instructions, cut marks,
or color bars. The default value is the page's crop box."

See also: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1041

Hope that helps,

Peter