[Scribus] Setting a thesis in Scribus (ver. 1.3.3.2 dev)

avox avox
Wed Jul 12 12:14:15 CEST 2006

Nik-4 wrote:

> Hi Marek,
>
> I don't actually agree with a previous post that Scribus is not the
> appropriate tool for you.

Sorry, I need to nitpick on this one :-)

> I use Scribus for typical DTP tasks such as newsletters, etc, as well as
> more document-oriented tasks such as white papers and business plans,
> and find scribus both powerful and easy to use for these tasks.
>
> One point: the 1.3.x versions of Scribus are development, and hence
> probably less stable than you might want. The most recent 1.2 version is
> currently a better choice for 'production' work. I currently use 1.2.4.1
> for all my regular work, and use 1.3.x occasionally for specific
> printing tasks (eg, greyscale PDF production). You might find you are
> happier using 1.2.4.x for the moment, until the current development
> (1.3.x) has been stabilised into a release (which will then be called
> 1.4.x).

We developers think that 1.3.3 is as stable as 1.2.4. In fact there are
plans
to make 1.3.3 the new (intermediate) stable version, since there are a lot
of features in the 1.3 branch which are missing in 1.2.

> Basic workflow:
>
> One of the major benefits of using OpenOffice as your content editor is
> that scribus can import text styles as it imports the text.

Unfortunately OOo import doesn't handle footnotes very well.

>> So far, I'm getting acquainted with Scribus. It seems fit as far as I see
>> it, but I have a few questions regarding workflow:
>> 2. It seems to support styles (defined from scratch). Does it support:
>> a) creating table of contents based on headings (as in word processors);

1.3.3 does.

>> c) anchoring images to paragraphs, keywords, etc.;
>
> No, scribus positions everything by frames. In my experience, this is
> much more accurate and simple than content-based layout. (see note above
> regarding keeping chapters independent).)

This is possible in 1.3.3 but somewhat experimental.

>> f) live pagination (based on headings) and page numbering (within
>> sections).
>
> No, with scribus you control pagination using frames. This means you
> don't have to remember to embed special things in the text to ensure
> correct formatting.
>
> Scribus can generate page numbers. I don't believe you can easily
> re-start page numbering mid-document, so if you want to start each
> section with page 1, you would need to do page numbers manually, or have
> a separate document for each section, and then merge the result (eg,
> create PDF, and merge the PDFs).

1.3.3 supports different numbering schemes per section.

>> Or would you rather advise me to prepare the body of the text in OOo,
>> export it to PDF and open in Scribus to make final adjustments?
>
> I would certainly advise you to create your text in OpenOffice, but
> instead of exporting to PDF, I would import that text directly into
> scribus. And remember that the more you can separate your text into
> different documents, the more control you will have over the final layout.

Unfortuantely Scribus can't open PDF for editing yet. The OOo import suffers
from the problems with footnotes mentioned above.

/Andreas