[Scribus] Python or not Python

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Tue Jul 11 00:08:05 CEST 2006

* Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> [2006-07-06 19:45:10 -0400]:

> Yonatan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > one of my friends helped me a lot to install debian testing on my notebook,
> > that means I am not really an expert.
> >
> > I would like to install scribus, but apt tells me that it has to erase
> > python 2.4 and instead to install python 2.3. Can I install scribus and keep
> > python 2.4 and still use the tasks/functions python provides for scribus?
> > What is the difference if I install scribus without python? What can scribus
> > with python do what scribus without python can't do?
> >

> This might be a reason to build scribus on your own, in which case you
> can keep you python 2.4.
> The only reason to use python has to do with Scripter -- if you
> want/need to use scripts you need python.
>
> Check:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Category:Scripts_%26_Plugins#Beginners_Scripts
>
> Greg

Or a reason to ask the maintainer why scribus package hasn't been rebuilt with
the new default python version ;)

1.2.5 should be out any day and I was putting off building a new package until
then actually. Maybe tomorrow night? Right now it's possible to force the
dependency or rebuild the source package for those caught in this transition.

Regards,

Alex.