[Scribus] Story Editor

Plinnell mrdocs
Tue Jul 11 00:00:08 CEST 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 22:46, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hi Pedrie,
>
> Am Montag, 10. Juli 2006 21:36 schrieb Pedrie Roberts:
> > Pedrie:
> > Thanks for all who answered about downloading and installing for
> > Ubuntu, esp. Mr Jordan, who knows what he's doing AND how to
> > explain it. My biggest frustration with Scribus is Story Editor,
> > which i.m.o. is quite useless for editing and maybe Scribus'
> > weakest feature.
>
> Quite the contrary: it is very useful. It allows fast editing of
> text (=content) without slowing down Scribus. InDesign does it the
> same way.

Actually, this type of editor was in Pagemaker for a long time and it
was added to Indesign only in ID, after long time users of Pagemaker
migrating complained.

Where the efficiency comes from in SE is the application of styles and
in 1.3.x it is non-modal, so you can apply paragraph styles and see
the effect on the layout.

I almost *never* edit text on the canvas in Scribus, except for very
small blocks of text.

> > And you can't use
> > another editor, because it seems you can't paste into Story
> > Editor.

You sure can, but it depends on the application you are pasting from.

> Yes, doesn't work yet, but that isn't really important. Scribus is
> no tool for editing text, and similar programs are neither. Scribus
> is a software to _layout_ a text that has already been edited in a
> wordprocessor or a simple text editor. The text tools are mainly
> for corrections and minor changes.
>
> > Any
> > hope of at least wysiwig?
>
> That would turn the purpose of the tool upside down. See Above.
> There are only two DTP programs I know of that allow WYSIWG editing
> in large documents without slowing down significantly, namely
> QuarkXPress and RagTime (the last one is hybrid of Office and DTP
> software).
>
> One of the most important things to learn in DTP is to separate the
> production of content from layout, both of which a ideally more or
> less completey different processes. If you compare a DTP software
> to an industry, it's the final assembly of parts (texts and
> graphics) which have been produced somewhere else. Its job is to
> put all of the pieces together in the highest precision possible
> and roll out the product to the printer (or the web, or a PDF
> viewer). It's not its job to produce the parts.

Well said and what we call in pre-press 'workflow'. Getting this part
right e.g. configuring correctly and using proper application for the
job makes a tremendous difference in both print quality and speed.

> > (I'm not just negative; I think Scirbus in
> > general is absolutely fantastic.)
>
> You bet :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph