[Scribus] Scribus translation

Łukasz Jernaś deejay1
Wed Jul 5 22:59:16 CEST 2006

Dnia ?roda, 5 lipca 2006 02:47, Alexandre Rocha Lima e Marcondes napisa?:

>   Sorry but I think that there is some misunderstading here or else I was
> not able to express myself accordingly.
>
>  I really don't want to duplicate the effort, but on Ubuntu, someone
> imports the .po files that are extracted from the QtLinguist files on
> Rosetta. Then we translate the bits that are untranslated and it dwells on
> a new package, a package that has only translations.

Do these translation ever hit 'upstream'? I mean the actual projects like
Scribus, not just *ubuntu. Usually authors are blamed for poor translations
not the packagers.

> This way the user can switch languages on Gnome without reinstalling the
> softwares, the only parts that need to be downloaded and installed are the
> .po files from the locale packages.

Hmm, I think this point isn't argued here and it's totally clear that someone
would like just the translations (like may distros do with huge i18n packages
in KDE or the like)

> You and Frederico could help us translating Scribus packages on Rosetta
> when needed or sending us some information on how to translate ir better.
>
> Well, You just did my friend. As translator, you _know_ that you must get
> in

Why should a *distribution* push developers to change the way they work for a
long time and it seems to work? Strings reuse is a good thing between
projects (especially like gimp, krita, etc. where every translator could have
a different background and translate the same strings differently because
they're synonyms). But this should be a decision inside a project without any
interference from the outside - either we switch all or nobody - except maybe
some suggestions (not "we're doing it so must you"). Maybe if Rosetta could
use different formats not just .po it would be easier to switch (Scribus
uses .ts files, which is well suited for the toolkit it's using, conversion
between formats is always a pain)

Just my two cents, I hope I didn't sound rude, it wasn't my intention...

--
?ukasz [DeeJay1] Jerna?