[Scribus] Status of Indic language support in Scribus

Gora Mohanty gora_mohanty
Tue Jan 31 17:43:35 CET 2006

--- Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:
[...]
> Support is to be added in 1.3.x, not 1.3.0. That is, hopefully in the
> next few versions we will get a new text system up and running that
will
> support more text features of more than just Indic.

Great. Is there a timeline for when the versions will be out?

> How can you help? The answer to this is to provide sample unicode
> text files with redistributable content, and screenshots of the same
> text being rendered correctly in another application. You will need
> specify the font used as well.
[...]

OK, we at IndLinux are trying to get a comprehensive list of conjuncts
prepared for all Indian languages, but for now I can provide you this
for
Oriya. The UTF-8 file of the list of conjuncts for Oriya is at
http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/or_conjuncts.utf8. A HTML version is
at
http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/or_conjuncts.html, and displays
properly
in konqueror, or in a Indic-enabled Mozilla or Firefox (compiled with
Pango
or lib-m17n support. E.g., the Firefox in Fedora Core 4 works fine with
Indic scripts). All of these files are in the public domain.
http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/or_conjuncts_screenshots.tar.gz has
screenshots of gedit 2.12 properly rendering the UTF-8 file. The
OpenType,
Unicode font used is available under the GPL at
http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/utkal.ttf.gz. A fuller list of Indian
language fonts is at
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/IndicFontsList.
Please let me know if there is anything else that you require for
Oriya.
  Finally, it might be possible for us to help in the programming for
adding Indian language support to Scribus. Is there a need for that?

Regards,
Gora