[Scribus] Libertine Open Fonts releases LinuxLibertine 2.0

John Jordan johnxj
Sat Jan 28 20:01:26 CET 2006

On 28 Jan 2006, at 18:09, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/

Christoph,

Sehr sch?n!

You have done a tremendous job! It is beautiful! I can't wait for the
rest of it to be finished!

I am a student of linguistics and have been looking for a good
Unicode compliant font that is open source, attractive, and
complete, including the typographic niceties that are necessary for
publishing - like true small caps, ligatures, and so on. LinLibertine
looks like it will become my favorite!

Ich habe aber ein Paar Fragen:

1) I have an OpenOffice.org Writer test document with a table
where I listed all the characters of the IPA. I did it in a table so I
could select just the left column where the IPA characters are
displayed, and then apply different fonts to the row in order to see if
a font has all the characters. When I applied LinLibertine to the left
column some of the characters are blank (to be expected at this
point in the development), most have the LinLibertine character,
and others display the character but in some other font. When I
select one of these weird characters the toolbar still says it is
LinLibertine. But the font is a san serif that looks like a system
font. I don't understand how this can be. If the character does not
exist in LinLibertine it should just be blank. Either that or, if Linux
is substituting a system font for missing characters, then it should
have done so for the other missing characters instead of leaving
them blank. This puzzles me.

2) I am curious why you did not make this an OpenType font so
you could enable the automatic glyph substitution for ligatures and
so on that is a feature planned for future releases of Scribus.

I'm going to use the font for a while to see if I find any bugs or
problems. In the meantime, thanks for doing such a beautiful job.
You are an artist!