[Scribus] Document opening time

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Jan 26 23:51:14 CET 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Thursday 26 January 2006 05:35, [KS] wrote:
>
>> Craig Bradney wrote:
>>
>>> Scribus will generate, or get ghostscript to generate previews for every
>>> image.. and yes, text may take some time too, which is all going to
>>> cahnge with the new file format loader work, and a whole lot of other
>>> changes to come in 1.3.x
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>
>> Its allright if scribus calls ghostscript for the image previews and/or
>> text. After timing the opening of the document with a stopwatch I
>> realized that it takes around 86sec to 90seconds. Do I have a reason to
>> be concerned about this behaviour?
>>

> I dont think that other DTPs do it much faster. It will get faster in Scribus,
> but I can't honestly say that an 80 page doc with 80+ images is a small doc.

You have to appreciate what Scribus is doing with each image, which may
include loading, resizing, having the upper left corner in a particular
location within the image, possibly rotating, and that's for each image.
Something like Adobe Reader has had Scribus or some other app do all the
grunt work and is just doing a display according to the file.

Greg