[Scribus] Tutorial reference

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Jan 26 02:08:50 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 01:33 schrieb Craig Bradney:
[snip]

> > Exactly my thoughts. Kids in primary school have to learn writing and
> > math basics, and they almost certainly don't know enough arithmetics to
> > use a DTP app succesfully. People normally get accustomed to this kind of
> > software after finishing school, either in their training for the job or
> > during their studies. And that's early enough, IMHO.
> >
> > Seems to me like much ado about nothing.
>
> Don't believe that for a minute.. in many schools where I am from (Sydney),
> many primary schools, mostly private ones, all kids will have a laptop as
> required by the school.

And I think that's quite stupid. Sorry for writing this. Kids at school should
learn how to write (and I mean write, not type) and to figure.

> Now, if I was coding when I was 8, which I was, do you really think I
> wouldn't know how to play around in a DTP app?

Well, what is true in one case, may not be true in others. And one would have
to ask: Cui bono? I can't see any sense in teaching DTP, especially as it
takes time to develop a sense of proportions and taste. So teaching how to
write, to figure and -- perhaps -- to draw is much more important than using
software, which is only a tool. Moreover, only a small percentage of pupils
will use a layout software when they are adults. Most of them will have to be
trained in word processing, spreadsheet etc.

> Craig

Cheers,

Christoph