[Scribus] Great year :)

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Jan 17 22:22:10 CET 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 January 2006 21:27, Tino Schwarze wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:07:29PM +0100, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
>>
>>> Small idea: allow for negative values when defining guidelines. Negative
>>> amounts means of course not guidelines outside of page but distance from
>>> opposite site (bottom for horizontal and right for vertical).
>>>
>>> For beginners it is always difficult to know by heart dimensions of
>>> current page or format. Negative values should be *immediately* changed
>>> to real value to not introduce confusion.
>>>
>> +1 should be easy to implement and would be very helpful!
>>
>> Bye, Tino.
>>

> Scribus' spinboxes support variables.. I had them in for testing, but stuff
> like "pagewidth-10" can work. The remaining enabled one is "old". It works in
> the width, height, x,y ones on poperties palette.. eg. old-10 gives the old
> value -10.. funnily enough.

Considering all the trouble we hear about people who have lost things
off the page and either can't find them or don't even know they're
there, I think having just a negative value is a bad idea. Craig's idea
makes more sense, but if you know the dimensions of your page, which you
can get from right-clicking on the page, then on Manage Page Properties,
then just type in the mathematic expression, eg for a width of 612 pts,
type '612 - 10.65', Scribus does the math and puts it 10.65 pts from the
right edge. I've done this a lot when I want a frame's right edge at a
particular location by also subtracting the width of the frame.

Greg