[Scribus] Images in resulting pdf

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue Jan 17 01:32:24 CET 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 22:34, [KS] wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> > PNGs are perfectly fine to use, in general.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Thats exactly what the documentation said and seems logical as png
> uses a lossless compression algorithm.
>
> /kds

I wrote the docs, and my thinking is guided by the following:

Tiff is one of the most time tested and most recognized image file
formats for prepress. GIMP, the image editor 90% of Scribus users
will be using for their editing in my testing and experience is very
reliable in TIFF export.

In fact for 1.3.x, I actually prefer native PSD. Franz has done a
simply brilliant job of making the color management and all the extra
features of PSD accessible in a way not even other layout apps can
do. This includes supporting paths, layering and more.

Why, I downplayed jpeg ? I was trying to avoid the typical unknowing
user unfamiliar with pre-press grabbing 72 dpi jpegs from a web page,
lobbing them in doc then complaining it looks good on the screen and
prints crap. Moreover, a certain type of jpeg called progressive is
pure poison in postscript printing. It is not always obvious if a
jpeg is progressive or not when opened locally. Scribus now will
refuse to load progressive jpegs in both 1.2.x and 1.3.x

Yes, you can use high quality jpegs in Scribus. I personally do not
choose it, but for the broad range of users with Scribus, using tiff
is sound advice and I stand by it.

Peter