[Scribus] Print problem in version 1.2.4-1

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Jan 14 21:41:45 CET 2006

russbucket wrote:

> The error_log doesn't show much. Just this:
>         E [10/Jan/2006:16:12:22 -0800] PID 7024 stopped with status 0!

Please turn on debug logging in CUPS and try again. I expect to see a
GhostScript error, but it could be something else.

Gregory Pittman wrote:

 > It's hard to believe this is a scribus problem. More likely a settings
 > problem.

It could be, but it could also be newer Scribus versions generating
PostScript output that CUPS chokes on, where older versions do not.
lprng would pass the PostScript through unprocessed or use different
filters which might not hit the problem.

We can't write this report off without investigation.

 > Next thing might be to have Scribus print to a PS file, and see if you
 > can print that file outside of Scribus.

Yep. Check if GSView can handle it, for example. If you don't have
GSView, it's time to get it. `gv' and `ghostview' are not acceptable
alternatives.

Unfortunately even if you can view it OK it proves little, since (a) it
won't have been generated with the PPD and CUPS settings used to
generate the real print job, and (b) there's no guarantee that cups is
using the same gs version and variant as gsview. Still, it's better than
nothing.

--
Craig Ringer