[Scribus] Announce 1.3.2 String Freeze

Calum Polwart scribus
Thu Jan 12 20:00:05 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 02:45 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Calum Polwart wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 15:05 +0100, Craig Bradney wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> This is just a quick email to announce string freeze for 1.3.2 release. We
> >> expect to release within 2-3 weeks. Updated ts/po/qm files will be in CVS in
> >> a few hours..
> > Just out of curiosity what is a string freeze?
>
> We spend a few weeks where we don't alter user visible text in Scribus.
> That gives translators time to catch up, without feeling like they're
> chasing a target that's constantly running away. It's also usual to
> spend the string freeze period trying to track down and fix some of the
> nastier bugs in current CVS, so that a somewhat more stable than usual
> snapshot of 1.3 cvs can be released.

Thanks.  Sorry I didn't mean to make you write so much!

I should have applied my job advert theory - if you don't understand the
abreviations/terms in a job advert - you shouldn't be applying!  But
sometimes I just have to know!

> > What will be released?  A stable version?
>
> No, in this case the freeze is for 1.3.2, so it'll be a snapshot of the
> development series. That's a release that's a bit safer and more stable
> than the actual devel CVS mainline, but not in any way a "stable"
> release in the formal sense of the word. Given how many people use 1.3.x
> routinely, though, I expect it'll get used as if it was a formal stable
> release by quite a lot of folks.
>
> You can compare 1.3.x snapshot releases to the Linux 2.5.x releases.
> They're not stable releases, they're just milestones in development
> where we're pretty sure it won't actually climb out of your computer
> looking for more valuable data to munch on ;-) . Of course, Scribus is
> almost infinitely likely to eat your data than an experimental kernel
> snapshot, but hey, it's just an analogy.
>
> A similar procedure is used when doing a true stable release, eg for
> 1.2.5. We freeze strings for a few weeks to let translators catch up,
> fix some bugs, and tag the release.

That's what I thought was the current situation which is why 'release'
confused me - but I guess that's the freeze... all making sense now.

Thanks again.

Calum