[Scribus] How to update a link?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Jan 5 01:13:36 CET 2006

Hi Greg,

Gregory Pittman schrieb:

> Asif Lodhi wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I go with Christoph's idea of thinking of _all_ the Scribus-related
>>documents as a project and putting them under a project directory....
>>

> I think you may be right about this, but it seems this is more of a
> "best practices" kind of advice, that might do well to be on the Wiki so
> others can avoid subsequent frustration.
>

>>Perhaps, out of workflow optimization issues,
>>images could be put on a separate hard-disk in a separate content
>>managemnt server (the image directory being linked/mounted on the local
>>disk) so that the graphic artists as well as the DTP experts could work
>>in parallel.
>>

> For some, this may be the preferred way of working -- having a static,
> well-organized image directory with subdirectories, and in that case,
> they might not want the bother of making copies elsewhere.
>

>> When everything has been finalized (images are approved,
>>text has been proofread, layout is approved, etc.) and those files are
>>needed together in one directory - perhaps Scribus could use some kind
>>of an export/collect functionality.
>>

> One thing which has occurred to me is that, even though some of the
> Scribus team seem to wince at the thought, the fact that .sla files are
> text-based means that, even if one commits a "faux pas" such as David
> did, it is possible to load the .sla file into a text editor and do a
> search-and-replace operation to fix all the image references in the .sla
> file.

This is true, no doubt, but you have to think about the people who are
typically using this kind of software: most of them on Macs, which are
famous (notorious for others) for not "annoying" the users with things
like editing plain text files to fix things. That's one of the reasons
for the popularity of Macs. Practical matters (from a technical point of
view) aside, this is a matter of reputation ;)

Cheers,

Christoph