[Scribus] How to update a link?

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Wed Jan 4 23:32:38 CET 2006

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

>Hi Asif,
>
>Asif Lodhi schrieb:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I go with Christoph's idea X............................................
>>

>A Scribus project (in contrast to a simple sla file) would be made of a
>directory and its subdirectories. When starting a new project, the user
>will be asked about the name of the project, which will also be the name
>of the directory, and about the location of that directory. The user
>would also have to define which files will be stored in subdirectories:
>images (bitmap, vector), text, fonts, profiles, scrapbooks etc. For each
>possible category, a subdirectory will be created. Moreover, the user
>would have to choose whether a local copy of each file loaded into
>Scribus will be created. That way, the original files will be not
>affected if they are edited. Of course, by default, all files will be
>stored in relative paths (at least by default). Saving the project will
>update the sla-file and all subdirectories. If done so, the project
>directory can be moved around without any hassles. It is some kind of
>collect for output backwards, since collecting for out put does this at
>the end of the process.
>
>That part of the proposal will be a convenience for small projects with
>one or few editors, but it will probably eliminate some typical sources
>of errors. When multiple editing is possible, one could think about more
>complex options such as a project administrator who will decide what
>will be allowed to be edited and by whom. One could also think about
>network directories, symlinks and other necessary things. But all of
>that would be step two. If step one could be achieved, this might be a
>really handy feature. And to be realistic: Scribus will probably be an
>alternative for small shops first, so their needs should be suited
>first. Then it will possible to move on to the big boys (newspapers,
>magazines etc.)

Acknowledged & agreed!  I talked about content management system because
having a project directory like the one you have described would also be
a stepping stone for a possible content management system because
content  (scrapbooks, vector, etc.) would be stored in different folders
(symlinked or otherwise) - which can be managed because they are
external to sla.  I mentioned the idea of a possible
strategy-pattern-driven content management system since there was a
discussion with regards to content management systems (storing text in
databases, perhaps) earlier on this list and, IIRC, inadequate
performance of some version control application was also mentioned.
Perhaps, developers can see my point.  The whole idea of storing
referenced resources (fonts, text, scrapbooks, etc. - as you have
mentioned above) as part of the project, perhaps, could be implemented
in a location-independent manner as well so that the hierarchy of the
content would stay the same - intact - but the _location_ of the content
may not necessarily be sub-directories - it could be database tables or
data files generated by some specialized storage/data engine well suited
to the job.  All I am saying is:  if  at all considered implementable,
code for the hierarchical structure should be implemented in a
location-independent way so that even if, for the time being, Scribus
doesn't use specialized data engines for storage, it could use them in
future - without disrupting the code.  Simply speaking, the code for the
project directory structure should be location independent and focused
on hierarchical storage & structure rather than the method/medium
(directories/files, disk, etc.) of storage so that the storage medium
can be replaced by data engines, content management systems later.
Talking about content management systems, I would duly like to mention
here that even XML can be stored in XML-centric data engines now.

--
Best regards,

Asif