[Scribus] Colour separations and line screen

Frank Cox melville.theatre
Tue Feb 28 17:03:54 CET 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:26:53 +0100 (MET)
Peter Nermander <m8130 at abc.se> wrote:

> The printer should have a RIP that is suitable for the press, just find out what
> input file format that RIP takes.

"The printer" is us.  We own the printing press.  (Actually three, but only
one colour machine.)  As far as I'm aware, we don't have a RIP for it, though,
it's just a big machine in the corner.

> You can not use the driver for your desktop printer to create suitable files.
> Your desktop printer most likely has its own built in "RIP", so the computer
> sends it postscript and the printer itself turns it into rasterized bitmaps

Our workflow is as follows:
1) Create the document with Scribus.
2) Print the document from Scribus on press plates using the HP5100 printer
that's plugged into the computer that we run Scribus on.
3) Put those plates in the press and start the print run.

This works great for doing black-and-white and spot colour on the other two
presses.  But now we are trying to get this third press that is supposed to do
full colour working and are getting quite lost in the process.

> Note that the bitmaps output from a RIP becomes HUGE so unless you really have a
> very good reson it is best to let this part be handled by the printer.

We have a very good reason to handle it ourselves, as you can see above.

What exactly is a RIP?  Software?  A special printer driver, perhaps?  Or
something else altogether?

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net