[Scribus] Color model and Gimp.

PLinnell mrdocs
Fri Feb 24 01:50:30 CET 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 01:09, John R. Culleton wrote:
> Scribus documents can be saved in the CMYK  color model.
>
> Suppose I buld a document and add an image built with Gimp, which
> only works in the RGB color model. I finish the document and
> save it as e.g., tiff.
>
> 1. Is the imported image now expressed in CMYK model?

No, it remains in RGB.

> 2. At what point does the conversion occur, when the Gimp image
> was imported or when the Scribus document was written out?

When exported *and* printer is chosen during export.

> 3. Are there limitations or preferences with this conversion
> process in re. using a tiff vs. a png image to be prepared in
> Gimp and imported by Scribus??

It really does not matter, except that png is smaller and more compact
for screen shots and tiff is generally more compact with photographs.
They both support at least 48 bit RGB with alpha transparency, as
well as ICC profiles.

That said, if you are working in CMYK, krita very soon or Cinepaint or
Photoshop on Wine are probably better choices for converting and
retaining colors in an image.

Peter