[Scribus] installing scribus on mac os

Kevin Walzer sw
Thu Feb 23 14:23:31 CET 2006

Florence Gaillaguet wrote:
> Is there an other way to install scribus on Mac OS ?
> Could you give me all the explanations because I am not used to installing
> open source softwares on mac ? Thanks a lot.
>
> [est-ce qu'il y a un autre moyen d'installer scribus sur mac ? Pourriez-vous
> me donner toutes les explications car je n'ai pas l'habitude d'installer des
> logiciels libres sur mac ?
> Merci beaucoup.]
>
> On 2 /22/06, Florence Gaillaguet <florence.gaillaguet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply,
>>
>> yes, I have copied the contents of libraries A and B into /frameworks and
>> then removed the folders
>> so that I have  Library/framework/fontconfig2.framework,
>> /framework/Freetype.framework and so on
>>
>> [j'ai bien copi? le contenu de Librairie A et B dans /frameworks et envel?
>> les dossiers
>> donc j'ai bien Framework/fontconfig2.framework,
>> framework/freetype.framework, etc.]
>>

>> On 2/22/06, Louis Desjardins <louisdesjardins at videotron.ca> wrote:
>>>  It says that the programm is incomplete or damaged.

>>> in

>>> Please check that the content of the folders Library A and B are in
>>> /framework, not the folder themselves.
>>>
>>> [FR] Assurez-vous que c'est bien le contenu des dossiers Library A et B
>>> qui est copi? dans /framework, pas les dossiers eux-m?mes.
>>>
>>>  > I have also installed X 11 for Mac Os.
>>>

>>> X11 is for Fink. AFAIK X11 is not needed and won't be launched with
>>> Scribus Aqua.
>>>
>>> [FR] X11 est requis pour une installation avec Fink. X11 n'est pas
>>> requis pour une application Aqua.
>>>
>>> Will this help?
>>>
>>> [FR] En souhaitant le tout utile!
>>>
>>> Louis
>>>
>>>  >
>>> something
>>> What is the exact error message? "Something" is hard to tell from many
>>> km
>>> away.
>>>
>>> Craig

Would it be impertinent to suggest that Scribus-Aqua be made available
as one of the following:

a) a single application bundle with all frameworks packaged therein,
which can be installed in the manner Mac users expect, i.e. via
drag-and-drop;

or

b) a pkg installer that puts the main Scribus.app in /Applications and
the relevant frameworks in /Library/Frameworks?

The current method requires end users to do far too much fiddling with
installing the frameworks, and can be very error-prone (i.e. the Scribus
bundle doesn't see Ghostscript).

I understand the rationale for *not* doing this, i.e. the development
cycle for Scribus is going to be faster than the updates for the
frameworks themselves, and it's easier for the developers to simply
re-wrap the application bundle and leave the frameworks untouched.

However, it seems to me that Scribus-Aqua is entering into more
widespread use than it was last spring/summer, when the first
bleeding-edge alpha Aqua builds were available. Doing the package
installer isn't much more work than recompiling the main bundle itself.
Even Windows users now have an easy installer to use!

- --
Kevin Walzer
iReveal: File Search Tool
http://www.wordtech-software.com