[Scribus] Enhancing Short Words

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Fri Feb 17 13:31:38 CET 2006

[snip]

>  Louis (and all french-talkers)
>I've explained how we did for that lack of thin spaces.
>Here: http://www.linuxgraphic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7197#7197
>
>In 2 words: we changed the font with fontforge in order to give some
>more kerning.
>
>What do you think of that solution?

Bonjour Rapha?l,

It works. But this is only a workaround imo. You have to go after
each font. It can be very suitable in closed environments. But will
not be sufficient for production use.

After having set my little book, I can say that Short Words is very
fast at crunching lots of pages in seconds. We really need access to
other non-breakable spaces, such as thin spaces, in that feature.

If the Team can allow it, the support for these spaces in Scribus
would be a good thing to announce in Lyon! We are getting closer and
closer to pro typographic level. Just a thought to share! ;-)

Au plaisir!

Louis