[Scribus] Importing multi-page pdf (2)

John R. Culleton john
Fri Feb 10 19:29:07 CET 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 09:29 am, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Friday 10 February 2006 15:12, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 February 2006 04:02 pm, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > > Yes but we don't need a kludgy solution. Ghostscript provides all we
> > > really need.
> > >
> > > Craig
> >
> > OK let me look at the problem from the other end of the
> > telescope. I want to create Scribus pages for parts of the
> > document and TeX pages for other parts. The page sizes are all the
> > same. In general the tool psmerge will only merge pages created
> > with the same tool, and sometimes not then. I can
> > import pages into a TeX document, but that is a bit tricky.
> >
> > Using either PostScript or pdf files (I can convert to either of
> > course), what is the most foolproof method of merging the pages?
> >
> > I am on Slackware Linux.
>
> Why not generate your TeX pages to PDF and place those PDFs into image
> frames in your Scribus document? With a decent resolution they should print
> fine. run a few tests and see.
>
> Craig

I did a little further research and ran some simplistic tests.
One recommended technique for merging PostScript Documents is to
simplty catenate them with the following line in between each:

false 0 startjob pop

I tried that with alternating ps files, one printed from Scribus
and one from TeX and dvips. Initially gv would only see the first
document.  So I used ps2pdf. Now the entire document is readable
by gv. I reversed the last step and ran pdf2ps. Now the
Postscript document is much smaller and it still works. But in gv
the margins were pulled in and I had to change it to a letter
size document in gv. Now it displayed the results but with poorer
type.

I think just merging the PostScript pages as above, converting to
pdf and leaving it that way is the ticket. But I will need to
find out if a print shop can accept the pdf document.

The advantaqe of the catenate procedure over the one you propose
are:

1.It is easier to merge large multipaged documents,
2.There is no degradation of the fonts.

I can see advantages the other way as well, such as page
numbering.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: