[Scribus] GIMP and the future of Open Source DTP

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b
Tue Feb 7 11:42:19 CET 2006

Am 07.02.06, 10:36 +0100 schrieb Tobias Hilbricht:

> Am Montag, 6. Februar 2006 23:53 schrieb Tino Schwarze:
> >
> > IMO there just has been no developer who considered CMYK a necessity and
> > had the time to develop it accordingly. So there is nobody to blame.
>
> Nobody blames the developers, because the implementation of a full fledged DTP
> compatible image manipulation program is technically very complex, as I
> learned when trying to give some simple softproof capability to the vector
> graphics application Skencil.
>
> But it is certainly not bad to strengthen the efforts of the developers of The
> GIMP, Krita or CinePaint by expressing a demand for a professional open

As a developer of one of the above mentioned applications (CinePaint), I
can say I am all ear to your suggestions in preparing especially this app
for DTP / Pro needs. Some features suggested during discussions with
mmembers from this list are allready implemented.

As well the Scribus team, Krita developers and much more are in talking
about enhancing interoperatibility in various projects, like OpenICC,
Create and Oyranos.

> source image manipulation program. There is already a very promising closed
> source alternative, Pixel by Pavel Kanzelsberger, being developed for many
> platforms including Linux.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management