[Scribus] Index generation ala LaTeX

John R. Culleton john
Mon Feb 6 19:45:45 CET 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 11:28 pm, [KS] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of the last things remaining in the brochure I'm making is the Index
> of the artists in the brochure. Is there any way to generate the index
> like one can do in LaTeX?
>
> regards,
> /kds

I do indexing for money and here is what I do:
1. The customer sends me a finished pdf with correct pagination.
2. I save the contents as text with page breaks maintained using
ps2ascii.
3. In the Gvim editor I convert all the page break characters ^L to
the string \vfil\eject ( I use plain text, not LaTeX.)
4. I add the string
\input eplain.tex
at the beginning.
5. I set the starting \pageno
6. I mark up the file with eplain-style indexing tags. Sometimes
I use a mass change in Gvim to find all the occurences of a
particular item and optionally surround each with indexing tags.
7. I run the file through TeX and the resulting foo.idx file through
makeindex.
8. Optionally I run the file through TeX with the appropriate
eplain switch set on to get a ps file with the index items noted
in the margin of each page. I use this to check to be sure all
major topics are covered. Ideally in a text-heavy book there are
six index items per page but that is a goal and not a requirement

The makeindex parameter file yourname.idx can be tweaked to provide an
on output file foo.ind that can be directly imported into your target Scribus
document.

Some of the above techniques at least can be adapted to a LaTeX
approach.

HTH
--
John Culleton