[Scribus] GIMP and the future of Open Source DTP

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Mon Feb 6 18:37:18 CET 2006

Hi there,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:23:59PM -0500, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> This post might sound a bit "off-topic" but I think the following link
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/photoshop_on_linux/
> is worth reading, and discussing.
>
> In short: a growing number of people are demanding that Photoshop be
> ported on Linux. The GIMP, which apparently lacks Color Management and
> full CMYK support (although I understand there are plug-ins for that) is
> not yet suitable for pros.

Well, CMYK support is a long-standing item on the TODO list. And it will
be done when they move to GEGL (which will bring support for all kinds
of color spaces and color depths).

I'm also one of those waiting for a decent CMYK-supporting image app on
Linux, but I'm not holding my breath. :-( I heard that cinepaint is
supposed to support CMYK (in CVS at least) but last time I tried, it
didn't work and the whole app feels so 90's. :-|

Bye, Tino.