[Scribus] Importing multi-page pdf (2)

Min Xu mxu
Thu Feb 2 22:14:33 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 03:12:42PM -0500, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> >
> >> At the moment, I think the best way to import certain pages from a pdf
> >> is to make use of pdftk.
> >> One of the many things it can do is break a pdf into single pages.
> >> It would go like this:
> >>
> >>     pdftk mydoc.pdf burst
> >>
> >> Then these separate pages can be imported into Scribus.
> >>
> >> pdftk can be found here:  http://www.pdfhacks.com/pdftk/
> >> I have SUSE 10.0, it's included in the distro as well.
> >>

> > If it works without resolution loss, it might be one of the answers to
> > the problem, and maybe something Min Xu should look into. I'll check it out.
> >

> Hallelujah! Our prayers are answered!
> Seems to work well; takes it a while to grind out the results, but the
> results look good -- I couldn't tell any difference from the source
> file, and I might add that it's not destructive, you still have your
> source file.
> I have FC4, and it was available via 'yum install pdftk' -- not sure
> which repository, but since I only use updates, extras, and livna, it is
> readily available.
> This may obviate the need for Craig to tackle PDF import. As Eric
> Raymond has said, one of the advantages of Linux is that you don't have
> to have monster applications that do it all, you can often use a
> collection of utilities to more efficiently get your work done.
> According to yum, the RPM for pdftk is only 848K, and it has many other
> capabilities.
>
> Maybe Min Xu will pick up on this tonight.

Hey, I am picking it up earlier than tonight.

Thanks to Sjoerd and Gregory for invaluable help. I did some more
tests. The results did get improved.

(pdftk is really a cool program too!)

First, here is a screenshot of acroread where there is no resolution
lose (I think).

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~xu/tmp/imported.jpg

This file is generated by selecting "import eps/ps" from the file menu
in scribus. (but I think the font looks strange.)

Next, I took the suggestion from Greg and loadImage() from single
page pdf files.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~xu/tmp/loadImage-pdf.jpg

The results looked better than yesterday, where I loadImage() from single
page ps file.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~xu/tmp/test.gif

The resultion did get higher, but so did the file. The resulting pdf
grew from 6MB to 13MB.

Can someone really explain what's the difference between import and
loadImage()?

Thanks again!

-Min