[Scribus] Open Source Software and Book Authors

wtb41 wtb
Sun Dec 17 16:59:56 CET 2006

> Tobias Hilbricht wrote:

>So you did not install them with spadmin additionally, as I did with my
>working font installation.

This morning I did as you suggested. I installed the font "aditionally"
using spadmin. But first I ran fc-list, and the resulting list showed the
font as present. It was present because I had installed it as described in
my prior posts on this thread. The long list began as follows (copying &
pasting):

Adobe Garamond:style=Italic Expert
Adobe Garamond:style=Regular Expert
AR PL SungtiL GB,???????????????:style=Regular
Bitstream Charter:style=Bold
Bitstream Charter:style=Bold Italic

The first 2 items on that list are the fonts, but I did not used the italic
in producing the one-line PDF. After installing the font "additionally"
using spadmin, I typed the same one-line string of characters into a new
Writer document. I exported it to a PDF, and I got the exact same mess I got
previously. I even named the PDF after you (Tobias.pdf). Even that did not
solve the problem. If you want to see your namesake, I gladly will e-mail it
to you. Presumably, every installer on my system uses the library
fontconfig. The command fc-list does.

Looking at the issue logically, one would think that installing a font as a
system font using KDE's FontInstaller should suffice. The font clearly was
available to Writer before today's exercise. I saw it on the screen in the
Writer document, and the font entered the PDF, but imperfectly. Have you any
more thoughts as to the source of the problem?