[Scribus] Open Source Software and Book Authors

wtb41 wtb
Sat Dec 16 17:37:08 CET 2006

Yesterday Tobias Hilbricht said that he tested OpenOffice Writer's (using
version 2.0.2, which is the version that I have) PDF Export feature with
small caps from an expert set, and it worked perfectly. This morning I used
Writer to prepare a simple one-line document containing 37 characters (A
thru Z in small caps; 1 thru 0 as oldstyle figures; and a blank space
between the Z and the digit 1), all from the Adobe Garamond Regular Expert
font. I installed that font as a System Font using KDE's Font Installer.

I typed the characters into a Writer document, and they displayed perfectly.
I then used Writer's PDF export feature. The resulting PDF looks like this:

ABCD FGHI K MNOPQR T  WXYZ 1234567890

The letter E is superimposed on the D; the J is superimposed on the I; the L
is superimposed on the K; the S is superimposed on the R; and the letters U
and V are superimposed on the T.

If anybody would like to see the PDF, I gladly will e-mail it to you. Have
you any idea what might be causing this mess?