[Scribus] Truetype and opentype fonts

wtb41 wtb
Thu Dec 14 22:13:38 CET 2006

After receiving J. Miner's comments on this issue, I investigated the matter
further. Here are
my results. The Book Manufacturers Institute has a web site
(www.bmibook.org) listing its
members. The members' web sites are accessible thru BMI's web site. I
recently visited all of
those sites. Many--not all--of the members' sites have online guidance re
prepress preparation.
The following comments about the use of TrueType fonts come from those sites
or from
personal e-mails to me from representatives of those companies:

1. From R. R. Donnelley (www.rrdonnelley.com):  "Consult with your RR
Donnelley representative
before using True Type fonts or system fonts in a document."
2. From Maple-Vail Book Manufacturing Group (in a personal e-mail to me):
"We prefer for our
fonts to be Postscript, but... we can handle TrueType but only if they are
embedded; TT font used
to drop out of the files when we ripped the files.  It's just safer with
Postscript fonts."
3. From Lake Book (in a personal e-mail to me): "True Type fonts can be used
but may not
give you the best reproduction."
4. From Versa Press (http://www.versapress.com/Pages/FilePrep.asp): "Of the
two common
font types used for page layout, Type 1 fonts should always be used because
TrueType may
not render correctly at high resolution output. "
5. From Walsworth Publishing Co.
(http://www.walsworthprinting.com/walswrth.nsf/AppGuide?OpenForm): "We
recommend
using Postscript fonts for your applications. TrueType fonts can be used,
but may result
in unexpected or poor imaging. "
6. From Courier (in a personal e-mail to me): "There is no STANDARD for a
true type library,
 per say. [...] Because True Type fonts are as wide as the ocean, we
recommend people go
to a standard i.e....Postscript TYPE1 fonts like the Adobe libraries."

These comments agree with Thomson-Shore's (another book manufacturer)
statement to
avoid the use of TrueType fonts. Book manufacturers clearly prefer
PostScript fonts. They
work with fonts/commercial printing far more than I. If they tell me to
avoid the use of
TrueType fonts, then I am going to listen to them. They want a successful
end product just
as I do. I do not want to begin my relationship with them by ignoring their
advice re fonts,
which as one site says, cause more problems than any other issue they face.