[Scribus] Finding a Font (OT)

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer
Thu Dec 7 15:04:47 CET 2006

OK this is probably off topic, but if anyone knows you guys will know.

I've just been shown some mock-ups of a document that use a (c) font.
The mock-ups look very good but the font family contains loads of
variations (bold, demi bold, etc)  Each font costs ?50, or we can get
the whole family for ?550.  I'd like to stick as closely to the design
of the mock ups as I can but the whole project isn't worth that much
money!

The mockup used 6 versions, but I suspect the whole document could use
nearer 10.

The font involved is Myriad Pro - nice but nothing to write home about.

So what I want to know is:

- Anyone know of a 'free' font (which behaves in Scribus) that looks
very similar to Myriad.  (From what I understand there is actually
Myriad included in Acrobat Reader - but that is hearsay)

- Is there any way to search for very similar fonts.  I'm sure I cam
across a tool or website or something that could take a sample (not sure
how that sample was produced) and then match it '?how' to similar other
fonts..

Calum

Hi Calum,

As others said, MyriadPro is shipped with AR 7, amd you have also been told where to find it. In case your distro has stored somewhere else, search for "Myriad" (uppercase). AR has already four font faces, Regular, Bold, Bold Italic, Italic. If you need more, I advise you to buy them. I really don't know of any free (as in beer or in source) fonts that contain enough font faces for your project. Also, Adobe fonts are _really_ worth their price.

HTH,

Christoph
Ideal f?r Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer