[Scribus] file format 1.3.3.x and 1.3.4

Axel Bojer axelb
Tue Dec 5 09:51:41 CET 2006

Craig Bradney skrev:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 23:28, Axel Bojer wrote:
>> Louis Desjardins skrev:
>>> Craig Bradney a ?crit :
>>> Just a thought on Greg's idea. I wonder whether saving in an older
>>> format would be as good as it seems. Does that still make sense from the
>>> free software point of view? Anyone wishing to upgrade can do so at no
>>> cost. If a user come across a file the app can't open, it means the app
>>> should be upgraded. That's it. We have lots of reflexes from the old
>>> world.
>> The problem woould be for people depending on the repositories of their
>> favorite distribution, they will perhaps not know how, or want to learn,
>> how to comile from the source-package. And using source packages also
>> clutters up the system (for instance in debian distributions it does not
>> fit very well with the apt-get system), therefore for many it would not
>
> This is untrue. Apart from any build dependencies and people learning to build
> an application, you can simply install into a directory in your home
> directory, and delete/reinstall/upgrade at any time. You should not install
> into /usr or whatever system prefix is used on the selected OS in such a
> situation.

I dont know if I have understood you right, but does mean that when I
now upgrade from 1.3.5 to 1.3.6 there is a special command for it? Or do
you simply mean replacing?
As of now  I am simply using
./configure && make && make install
without removing the old version, and it seems to work fine, so i
suppose it is. Is this the wanted method?

As as of removing ... If I have installed it locally it would be just
for me. Removing would then be just removing the relevant directory?
How do I remove when using the normal procedure of
./configure && make && make install

I have never done this (removed), so I am asking out of curiosity :-)
Is also on the system level everything in one directory? It don't seems
so at least:

$ whereis scribus
scribus: /usr/lib/scribus /usr/local/bin/scribus /usr/local/lib/scribus

Best regards
Axel Bojer