[Scribus] Linux's font system

Jan Kandziora jjj
Mon Dec 4 19:13:41 CET 2006

Am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 16:45 schrieb wtb41:
> computer is powered down, then is there really any need for more than one
> folder for system
> fonts?

Yes! You need them to be compatible with the past. In an ideal world, we could
throw over all our past and try a fresh start when things got clumsy. In
contrary, in the real world, you won't have enough time and energy to do such
a thing.

> Here is a related question: Is anything more involved in "installing" a
> font than putting the font
> files in a folder where they can be found when the need to load them
> arises? In other words,
> does font installation involve any internal housekeeping beyond putting the
> font files in a folder
> where they can be found when the need for them arises?

Yes! There are various caches for fonts and related items. For example,
generating font metrics (that's the relative position of the font's baseline,
box sizes and such) is an expensive task. So most systems will generate the
font metrics whenever a font is installed, and cache it.

Kind regards

	Jan
--
...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*