[Scribus] Linux's font system

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Dec 4 04:56:44 CET 2006

wtb41 wrote:
> The Mac system as I understand it handles fonts far more simply than Linux.
> The Mac
> system puts all of its system fonts in one folder--the System/Fonts folder.
> Scribus tells
> me that the system fonts on my Linux box are in 8 separate folders. Can you
> please
> explain to me the reason for 8 folders rather than 1 folder?

Others may have better answers than I, but my sense of this is that the
fonts in Linux come from a variety of separate projects, each of which
has had its own approach to storing fonts.
Linux is just an OS, not that plus a number of strictly coordinated
apps. Therefore, there has never been any person or group to say, "fonts
will go here and only here."

Greg