[Scribus] Truetype and opentype fonts

wtb41 wtb
Sun Dec 3 19:14:20 CET 2006

Stu77000 wrote:

> I have only ever used a publisher and am unfamiliar with many aspects of
> publishing including fonts, but am thinking of self publishing this time
> around.
> Scribus offers mainly truetype fonts and a set of opentype fonts.
> From what I have read you need to either use opentype fonts or postscript
> fonts. Will it be possible for me to use the truetype fonts in the PDF
> provided to the printers?
> Sorry if this is off topic.
> Thanks
>
> Stewart

Some (most?) commercial printers (book manufacturers) will NOT accept
TrueType fonts. For example:

1. Chapter 9 of Robin Williams' book "How to Boss Your Fonts Around" says,
"Service bureaus use high-end PostScript imagesetters to 'image' (print,
output) the pages. The TrueType tecnology disagrees with these imagesetters,
and service bureaus generally prefer (many adamantly insist) that you not
bring TrueType into their shops in your documents." She has more to say
about the topic, but that quote should give you the gist of the topic.
2. Thomson-Shore's web site
<http://www.tshore.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/Guideline
OutputReadyFilesv10_6-06.pdf> on Prepublication Guidelines says, among other
things, "Avoid using TrueType fonts."

I am self-publishing a book, and I have gone to great lengths to purge my
files of TrueType fonts. But perhaps the best course is to ask the
commercial printer you choose what sort of fonts it will accept.

wtb41