[Scribus] Truetype and opentype fonts

avox avox
Sun Dec 3 11:35:09 CET 2006

Gora Mohanty-3 wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 07:12 -0800, avox wrote:
> [...]
>> Yes. I dont know who told you Truetype fonts wouldnt work, that sounds
>> very
>> unlikely.
>
> Um, Indic OpenType fonts definitely do not work, at least the last time
> I tried CVS out of Scribus. I would love to hear about it if these are
> indeed supported.

Scribus currently handles OpenType fonts same as TrueType (mostly).
AFAIK Indic fonts need special shaping features which are not supported
by Scribus yet.

Using fonts with a custom encoding and representation forms should work
in Scribus, though (but of course it's no fun).

About fonts embedded in PDF:

* Type1 fonts are ok
* TTF fonts and OTF fonts with TTF outlines should work (kerning might be
wrong in some OTF fonts)
* OTF fonts with CFF outlines are automatically converted to outlines
* embedded fonts can't be used for PDF form fields at the moment

If you find any font which doesnt work like that, please file a bug and it
will be solved in 1-2 days.

/Andreas