[Scribus] PDF Export -- Searchable Text?

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Thu Aug 24 11:50:02 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:46:48PM -0500, Jennifer Baughman wrote:

> Would someone be able to tell me if there is a plan to implement
> searchable text in exported PDFs? There are list mails from 2004
> indicating that's not possible with the 1.2.x builds, but I'm wondering
> if it has been (or is going to be) implemented in the 1.3.3.x or 1.3.4+
> versions. If not, is there a workaround?

As a workaround I convert the Scribus PDF to ps using xpdf's pdftops,
then convert back to PDF using Ghostscript 8.5+ - the resulting PDF is a
lot smaller (you can finetune the conversion via Ghostscript's options,
graphics get downsampled, fonts subsetted etc) and also "searchable".

I can provide the bash scripts (don't have them handy here) if anyone is
interested. It's no rocket science though.

HTH,

Tino.