[Scribus] Scribus / XaraLX files

frank gaude' tanzen
Wed Aug 2 05:26:06 CEST 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:
> frank gaude' wrote:
>

>> I use Scribus and the developers did say they plan on being able to
>> import .xra files one of these days.
>>

> Hopefully it wont't be necessary to really "import"" them natively.
> Ideally the Xara application can be used to handle the document its
> self, feeding Scribus data in useful formats transparently to the user.
> When you import a Xara file, it'd just ask Xara to render the preview ;
> when you then output to PDF, it'd ask Xara to do a high res raster
> render for Scribus to include (or maybe later a PDF indirect object that
> Scribus could reference).
>
> The Xara format is really capable, and Xara has to flatten parts of its
> output when sending to PDF (for example) because its document model can
> do things PDF can not. It'd be rather counterproductive to try to
> implement all the Xara facilities natively in Scribus, surely, so I tend
> to see using Xara to handle its own format as a much better alternative.
>
> It'd be interesting to take the same approach with other apps, but it
> only seems viable for OSS apps where there's a fair chance they can be
> safely shipped with Scribus or depended upon by it or a plugin (think
> `$YOUR_PACKAGE_MANAGER install scribus-xar-support' pulling in Xara LX
> automatically). Additionally, the ability to work together to establish
> good interfaces for the apps is unlikely to be available for many other
> apps.

Thanks, Craig. From Charles Moir, Xara Ltd., re this subject:

" CDraw on its own doesn't help create a stand-alone browser, as it's
just the really low level, and very dumb, rendering engine. In order to
create a stand-alone renderer that can take .xar files we need a much
larger chunk of Xara Xtreme LX. However we do hope to create exactly
this at some point. i.e. a simple library that can render .xar files,
that could then be used by third parties for a number of things, such as
browser plug-in, or stand-alone file viewer."

frank