[Scribus] color gamut

Hal V. Engel hvengel
Thu Apr 27 23:29:35 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 12:40, Florence Gaillaguet wrote:
> Thank you Pierre-Luc for your reply.
> I have called (again) the printer, he didn't seem to understand that, as
> well (!).
> I don't know what means the sort of warning sign I got in the color
> palette, and also in the color edition menu.
> I hope it won't cause any problem for printing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Florence

The image(s) where these colors are being used need to be in the same color
space as the intended device if you are using device specific colors (which
it appears you are).  Did the printer give you a profile for his device?  Is
this the profile you have embedded in the image(s) where these colors are
being used?  If you are using a generic profile (not specific to the device
that is used by the printer) then the CMYK values are meaningless unless you
have converted the values from the printers color space into the generic
color space you are using.

Actually I think the correct process for doing this is to get the device
independent color values for your Pantone colors (probably CIE Lab based but
I am not sure) and then convert these to your normal working space profile.
LCMS has utilities that will do this.  Then when you have the document ready
convert it into the printers device specific color space before sending it to
the printer.  This way you don't even have to know the device CMYK values.