[Scribus] Restricted documentation license (was: a different kind of Scribus reference)

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Apr 21 13:15:51 CEST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 11:23, PLinnell wrote:
> On Friday 21 April 2006 10:39, Brian Burger wrote:> On 4/21/06, Helmut
> Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at> wrote:> > Christoph Sch?fer
> wrote:> > > The licence allows free distribution, including translation,> >
> > but has> >> > some> >> > > restrictions regarding reformed German
> spelling, notifications> > > to the> >> > author> >> > > (i. e. me) if any
> major changes are applied, and another> > > restriction> >> > with> >> > >
> respect to commercial printing.> >> > Be aware, that such restricted
> licenses are the reason, why> > scribus-doc is deleted from the package in
> the official Debian> > distribution.> >> > See:> >> > $ apt-cache show
> scribus-doc> > Package: scribus-doc> > Priority: optional> > Section:
> non-free/doc> >           ^^^^^^^^> >> > This means, that scribus-doc is
> not installable without changing> > the default repositories, and also is
> not delivered on official> > Debian-CDs.>> Interesting - there is no
> "scribus-doc" package at all in Ubuntu> 5.10, and when I start Scribus
> 1.2.2.1 and go Help->Scribus Manual,> all I get is a blank help window with
> "Sorry, no manual available!> Please see: http://docs.scribus.net for
> updated docs and> www.scribus.net for downloads." in it.>> Is this because
> of the license, or something else? (I'm running> Ubuntu w/ Gnome, not
> Kubuntu w/ KDE, for example...)>> Brian. Hi,
> I do not know, you would need to ask the Ubuntu folks, but one of the first
> things we do for almost any visitor to IRC using Ubuntu to add our repo, so
> that users can replace 1.2.2.1 with 1.2.4.1, which is more feature complete
> and more stable than even 1.2.2.1. Also, for Ubuntu users, I have added an
> FAQ section here:
> http://www.scribus.net/admin.php?module=FAQ&op=FaqCatGo&id_cat=13 Cheers,
> Peter

The point is that Christoph who is writing that document doesn't like the new
German spelling rules so he doesn't want anyone to change it. He also applies
a similar no comemrcial printing without permission clause like we have on
the official Scribus documentation.

Craig