[Scribus] Scribus on Windows XP

Hal V. Engel hvengel
Mon Apr 10 00:16:59 CEST 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 02:05 pm, Michael Engel wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Those professionals won't install Linux just to spend a lot
> > of time with testing. It's the other way around: Once they recognise
> > there are real alternatives available in the world of free software, they
> > may change to Linux in the future. And even if they don't: software
> > should benefit the users, not ideologies.
>
> Well said. It is not about Windows, Mac or Linux - it is about Scribus.
>
> And sometimes, people (like me) need to use Windows because there are
> programs which are Windows only.

In fact this is one of the main reasons that many do not migrate to Linux.
They need application functionality that does not yet exist on Linux.  Many
times this is not true but until users are exposed to OSS software they will
not even consider moving to Linux.  Every OSS app that is ported to Windows
and Mac increases the odds that more users will move to OSS platforms.  After
all at some point they will be using more and more OSS apps and eventually
they will start to ask themselves why they are running Windows rather than
being totally OSS.

I should add that my project is in the process of doing a Windows port and as
a result many bugs have been uncovered and it will end up being a better
application because of this.

Hal